Fedorability of dvbcut ?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sun Oct 28 15:30:47 UTC 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 12:07:01AM +1100, David Timms wrote:
> I'm keen to repackage dvbcut for Fedora.
> http://dvbcut.sourceforge.net/installation.html
> The application can be used to trim up a mpeg2 transport stream for
> example recorded from a DVB tuner card, and output in mpeg2 program
> stream format.
>
> As packaged in packman, it warns:
> - qt3 is needed by dvbcut-0.5.4-0.pm.0.i586
> - libffmpeg0 is needed by dvbcut-0.5.4-0.pm.0.i586
> It can also use mplayer, and finds this through name within your path,
> ie it is not actually required for the program to run.
> With ffmpeg and mplayer installed, a rpm -Uvh --nodeps allows it to run
> fine.
>
> It's main function is the conversion from transport stream to program
> stream of given selections, however, it does recode frames at the start
> and end of each clip.
>
> So given the linking {I think} of ffmpeg, and the need for easiest use
> of having mplayer installed, am I correct in assuming this will be no go
> in FedoraPC ?

ffmpeg is patent-encumbered, thus no-go in Fedora.  If your
application can use other codecs that are free and are included in
Fedora (e.g. Ogg Theora), but may also use ffmpeg if present, then
it could fit.

> And if that's the case, how does the included kernel module for
> controlling / receiving mpeg2 transport streams from my DVB card fit
> with Fedora ?

The hardware manufacturer will have a patent license that allows them
to use mpeg2.  That same patent license most likely does not extend to you
as an end user for use outside of their hardware.

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux