changelogs in packages and space use

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sat Sep 1 19:43:37 UTC 2007

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Douglas McClendon (dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org) said:
>> So maybe the above (I'm skeptical, was that 8.6M *squashfs compressed*
>> saved?) only helps for one release cycle.  Then for a release cycle or two
>> you have to sacrifice shipping every language in the world on the same cd,
>> and go with regional spins.
>
> That's my point, though - how is a release method where each release
> you offer *less* functionality to the user a good thing?

I guess the rest of my reply that you didn't quote, failed to make an
impression.

I consider it in the language of economics and utility.  Pain will be
felt during the decision to remove languages or other actual
functionality.  That pain will, in general, tend to cause more thought
towards other decisions that could be made, that would keep the size
down, without losing actual functionality.

In the absence of having a clear 700M bottom edge, that pain, leading to
those thoughts, will never happen, and bloat will happen unrestrained,
thus at a faster pace.

Sort of like how the 4th ammendment slows the descent into fascism.
Sure, it seems inevitable that with technological progress, the 4th
ammendment, just like the 700MB fully functional distro, will fall by
the wayside.  But the longer it is there, and annoying people cling to
the value of it, the slower the actual descent into hell.

-dmc