Services automaticly change firewall rules to open access to themselfs.

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Sep 2 15:52:28 UTC 2007

On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 22:30:12 -0500,
  Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/1/07, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 12:05:00 -0500,
> >   Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > So being able to easily disable this wouldn't be enough?
> >
> > I don't think so. I thought making it easy for people to shoot themselves
> > in the foot was the Microsoft way.
>
> I do not see a parallel here, please explain

Microsoft makes things convenient even when what is being made convenient is
a dumb idea from a security perspective. Think email clients that run programs
to view attachments of type other than plain/text without even asking.

> > > This is something that would/should work only if you're using
> > > system-config-firewall
> >
> > And how is the code going to determine that?
>
> By having the init script ask s-c-firewall to open the port as has
> been suggested.

Does the init script know that s-c-firewall is what wrote the current set
of firewall rules? If so, I'd be curious to know how it does. Because if
s-c-firewall didn't write the rules, it is possible that the changes it makes
will cause problems.