Python 3.0

David G. Mackay mackay_d at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 3 14:03:35 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-02 at 17:24 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 10:59:28 -0500
> "David G. Mackay" <mackay_d at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > > And for the record, I do use Fedora.  Rawhide at home, latest release
> > > at work.  On every machine I own.  That covers the gamut of primary
> > > arches Fedora has (i686, x86_64, ppc, ppc64).
> > >
> > > josh
> >
> > And what do you do when you require functionality that's not in Fedora?
>
> Depends.  If it's outside the scope of Fedora, such as codecs, etc I
> certainly don't expect Fedora to fill that need.  If it's within the
> realm of Fedora, and it's not present yet I package it up myself.  If
> it's already in Fedora and it's lacking something I need, I work with
> upstream to get it in place so it will follow naturally to Fedora.

So you really rely on your ability to extend Fedora to make it do what
you want.  I understand the problems with the codecs, and expect that,
were it legal to do so, they would be included.  The problems stemming
from the need for a compat-python are a bit different.  Given the fact
that python breaks compatibility with itself rather badly on a regualar
basis, I suspect that your problems working with upstream developers are
going to increase, and Fedora's own in-house projects may very well need
a compat-python.

Dave