rawhide report: 20070830 changes

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Tue Sep 4 17:02:21 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 10:38 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-09-02 at 01:56 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Adam Jackson wrote:
> > >
> > > That seems like a lot of work for little gain.  I would much prefer the
> > > IcedTea developers spend their time on making it really great for F8,
> > > instead of making it mediocre for both F8 and F7
> >
> > There are already Fedora 7 SRPMS available. Why would putting it in the
> > repository make it mediocre for Fedora 8?
>
> Duplication of effort, polynomial case explosion, blah blah.  Fixing F7
> takes time away from improving F8.
>
> I really shouldn't have to explain this.

In other words there's the oft-forgotten responsibility that when
packages are added, they're to be maintained, as well.

What about jpackage.org? I've often relied on them for Java packages
anyway since they're purists over there (which means, for now, more
reliable). Have they given word on how they're going to handle icedtea
and if there's to be packages for F7?
--

Richi Plana