Python 3.0

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Sep 4 20:08:30 UTC 2007

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:00:15 -0500
"David G. Mackay" <mackay_d at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Last I heard, Fedora was a derivative of RHEL, and perhaps early on
> RH9.

Then you've been sadly misinformed.  Red Hat Enterprise Linux has
always been built from either Red Hat Linux of the day, or Fedora.
Never (that I am aware of) have we taken an existing RHEL and turned it
into RHL or Fedora.

> As I understand it, Red Hat expects Fedora to be an upstream
> provider. One of several.

Yes, that's how derivitives work.  We provide an upstream for RHEL.
They take some of our packages, some they don't modify, some they do.
They add some more packages from other sources, and produce something
that while shares a lot alike with Fedora, and includes large parts of
Fedora, it isn't Fedora.

> > think that they have nothing to do with the Fedora universe is just
> > plain silly.  To think that they aren't valid alternatives when
> > looking for say a long term supported Fedora, or a build of Fedora
> > with more thought to backward compatibility is just ignorant (not
> > in a mean way, just in a "the person doesn't possess the
> > information" kind of way).
>
> And, to think that you can discard functionality for the sake of
> staying on the cutting edge while improving the distro seems a bit
> short sighted.  I would have thought that Fedora was trying to stake
> out their own "mind share".

We have our mind share, it's forward looking.  We are targeting new
software rather than trying to continually run old software.

> On the other hand, thanks for the mental image.  It makes me wonder
> how many DVD isos are in the "Fedora Universe" install set, and where
> the torrent is.

It all depends on how many folks create something from the Fedora
packages that isn't Fedora.  Somewhat impossible to track.  That's like
asking for a torrent for "Opensource Software", or "The Internet".

Fedora doesn't have to be everything to every person.  It doesn't have
to solve all the problems.  There are perfectly viable alternatives to
Fedora, that are even based on Fedora, that solve some problem spaces
that Fedora itself just isn't interested in.  Duplication of effort is
not fun for anybody.

--
Jesse Keating