FESCo Meeting Summary for 2007-09-06

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Thu Sep 6 23:55:10 UTC 2007

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 01:30:58 +0200
Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 18:21 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 00:56:23 +0200
> > Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> > > Given this decision, I would like to propose to also close down
> > > * fedora-test-list@:
> > > Rationale: There can't be a clear separation between testing and
> > > development. testing is part of development and maintaining packages.
> > >
> > > * fedora-packaging@: Packaging and discussing details of packages are
> > > part of a distribution's development. It doesn't make sense to keep
> > > specialized lists for these topics.
> >
> > We can discuss this at next week's FESCo meeting if you would like.
> Yes, please do so - Put it on your schedule.
>
> This meant to be a serious proposal and is not a knee-jerk reaction[1].
> You've decided to kill maintainers@, now you should be consequent and
> kill these lists, too.

I'll be sure it's discussed.

> [1] IMO, this FESCO decision is a fault and mistake, we all will regret.
> It molests maintainers with long term development babbling and molests
> "application developers" with "bureaucracy of Fedora package
> maintenance" - It's not helpful to both parties.

I think that remains to be seen.  Personally, I think -maintainers and
-devel had overlapping purposes and there was not a way to enforce the
distinction.  -devel-announce should cover the "low traffic" part that
-maintainers was intended for.  It will handle the "these things have
changed" type of announcements.  As for actual discussions, I really do
feel those belong on -devel.

josh