kernel modules/kmods/dkms (Re: Plan for tomorrows (20070906) FESCO meeting)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Sep 8 02:01:38 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 11:24 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> dwmw2's proposal afaics mainly reads as "no
> separately packaged *kernel-modules* (in source or binary form) in
> Fedora at all"; but he uses the term "kmods" here and there (and kmod
> specific examples), so some people afaics got the idea that something
> else (like dkms) would be acceptable. I doubt that's the intention
> behind dwmw2's proposal. David, can you clarify? Or Jesse (who's listed
> as owner for the proposal as well)?

Indeed it was not the intention -- I used the term 'kmod' to refer to a
generic evil. I have clarified the wording now.

Not only do I think we shouldn't ship modules in binary form, I think we
shouldn't be shipping them in source form as dkms payload either.

I've no particular objection to shipping dkms itself, just as I have no
objection to shipping the kernel-devel package -- I just don't think
there's any justification for shipping 'dkms payload' packages as part
of Fedora.

> >  Why not to close this topic
> > with "No Kmod Packages Allowed in Fedora Repository"?
>
> Same here ;-) Make that a "No separately packaged kernel-modules in
> Fedora at all" and it gets a +1 from me.
>
> >   I think still something is going on that is preventing FESCO to
> > directly come to conclusion of disallowing kernel module packages in
> > fedora".
>
> From looking at the FESCo meeting logs it were just real life issues:
> dwmw2 was not around yesterday...

Yeah, I need to apologise for my poor attendance at meetings in the last
few weeks. Being in Shanghai babysitting OLPC builds makes the meeting
about 1am local time -- which when I'm working 14-hour days means that
if I _did_ wake up for it I wouldn't be massively coherent anyway. This
week it was the Kernel Summit... but I really will try to be present
next week, even though I'll be away from home again at another meeting.

I do appreciate the faith that people placed in me when they voted for
me (assuming they did, and it wasn't just a conspiracy that I got in),
and I know that I need to repay that trust. I won't keep skipping
meetings -- I promise.

--
dwmw2