Enhancement proposal for Firefox

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Mon Sep 10 16:24:20 UTC 2007

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007, Michel Salim wrote:
> On 09/09/2007, Adalbert Prokop <adalbert.prokop at gmx.de> wrote:
> [snip]
>> 2. Use alsa-oss to allow Firefox (or its plugins) play sound. AFAIK they
>>    use OSS now, which will fail in most cases, because /dev/dsp is almost
>>    constantly in use by arts/esd/whatever.
>>
> Last time I tried, on a 64-bit platform you can not use alsa-oss with
> 32-bit Firefox. Still nice if you happen to be running at the native
> wordsize, though.

  Last time you tried might have been before I fixed aoss to allow for
that. :-)
  The aoss script first checks if you have the 64-bit library, and by
default uses that.  *Unless* you incant it with the first argument of
"-32", in which case it'll check if you have the 32-bit library, and if
so, use it instead (and error out if not, which may be a bit unhelpful if
it's initiated by a GUI).
  If it doesn't detect a 64-bit alsa-oss-libs, it assumes you have the
32-bit ones (as the package containing the script depends on *one* of
them).
  I committed these changes to alsa-oss on February 8th, FWIW, due to
BZ#221711 and Jason Tibbitts' recommendations (via IRC).
  Apparently I may have broken the aoss man page.  The script could
probably use a -h flag, too.  Not sure if it'd be in bad taste to fix
those before F8 without an open bug.

      Jima