Aggregation upstream projects are BAD (kdesdk for example)

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 05:05:58 UTC 2007

Hi,

> But then I got a comment to the review it was already in Fedora in kdesdk. But
> then why on earth doesn't kdesdk have a Provides umbrello so that yum install
> umbrello works?
So one cool feature I learned about a while ago (that you may already
know about) with yum is you can do

yum install /usr/bin/umbrello

or whatever the full path to the program is, and it will automatically
grab the right package.  Of course, that feature is only useful if you
already know the name of the binary, and where it's getting installed
to.

> Also I think it is a very bad idea to ship packages with a clearly seperate
> upstream in some kinda bundle form.
Couldn't agree more.  For a while we shipped gcalctool and zenity in
gnome-utils.  it was a maintainability nightmare.

--Ray