Announcing rpmfusion

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Wed Sep 12 17:26:40 UTC 2007

> On 9/12/07, Bill Crawford <billcrawford1970 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 12/09/2007, Richi Plana <myfedora at richip.dhs.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hans, how about this for an idea: re-write the
> > > gstreamer-plugins-bad.spec so that it puts the various plugins in
> > > separate packages and make gstreamer-plugins-bad a virtual package that
> > > Requires all of the plugins to pull them in?
> >
> > +2
>
> -100
>
> The discussion on how gstreamer's source codebase needs to be
> happening with gstreamer upstream. if gstreamer upstream continues to
> aggregate, splitting modules out one by one is guaranteed to be a
> fragile exercise of frustration. If it makes sense for the users of
> distributions to consume the modules as separate packages then it
> makes just as much sense for the gstreamer upstream to treat the
> modules as separate codebases so the entire gstreamer
> user/developer/tester base can consume them piecemeal as well.

No, the needs and requirements of upstream and that of Fedora's users do
not necessarily coincide. They have a reason to package things the way
they did, and believe me, it has nothing to do with what users want.
They are most certainly not trying to make it hard for users, and if
asked they might sometimes give in, but they have their own concerns. If
asked to separate them, they will most likely say that it is the
distro's or the packagers responsibility to do that.

We already have several of Fedora's users asking for it, so there
obviously is a demand. If someone thinks the users are being stupid,
then I suggest that enlightening them and showing them the error of
their ways is the correct approach. But the correct approach isn't to
say that upstream always cares about the needs and requirements of their
users. Most of upstream's decision are based on development or legal
decisions. Sometimes the needs and wants of the users, the packagers and
upstream developers sometimes coincide and THAT'S when it makes sense to
go to them, but such isn't always the case.
--

Richi "ah, what the heck?" Plana