Disable IPv6 by default.

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Thu Sep 13 16:23:35 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 18:04 +0200, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 09:59 -0600, Richi Plana wrote:
> > To be honest, THAT'S the first time I've heard of that solution. Every
> > other piece of documentation says edit /etc/modprobe.conf,
> > edit /etc/sysconfig/network and/or edit /etc/sysctl.cfg
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
>
> Well, using /etc/modprobe.d is fairly much the same as
> editing /etc/modprobe.conf

Ahh! But now I'm assuming that's the Fedora-sanctioned way of doing
things that works with every other part of Fedora's core system. That's
why I was hoping for that one disable button on s-c-n: to make sure any
changes I want work well with the rest of Fedora. (It's entirely
possible that change I make might get trampled by other Fedora
subsystems like editing /etc/sysconfig/iptables by hand. With a
Fedora-sanctioned mechanism like the iptables "Custom Rules File", I can
at least work WITH Fedora).

> I know not what you might have edited in /etc/sysctl.cfg

Whoops, you're right ... I can't find it in my "TODO list upon new
installation document". My mistake.

Here's an old document on why some users might want to disable IPv6 in
the meantime: http://ipv6.niif.hu/m/IPv6hostslinux_disableIPv6 (I just
found it after your giving that hint). It even specifically mentions how
Fedora got things right. Cool.
--

Richi Plana