rawhide report: 20070912 changes

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Sep 13 16:59:38 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 <at> freenet.de> writes:
> > What planet are you living on?  Here on Earth, most software builds with
> > just:
> > ./configure
> > make
> > make install
> This is an urban legend.

No, it's not.

> Most packages build with
> %configure
> make
> make DESTDIR=... install
>
> If you have look into %configure you can observe what I say.

Those flags configure the package for the defaults of Fedora. They aren't
required to actually compile most software. Instead, they set distro-specific
configuration such as optimization flags, security flags and some installation
paths (such as the multilib libdir).

Nowhere does %configure explicitly set SOMERANDOMBUILDREQUIRES_LIB or other
package-specific flags. (That's why it's a common macro.)

        Kevin Kofler