Redesigning System Services (Re: My 2 cents on the whole Fedora to succeed as global wide deployed desktop are...)

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Fri Sep 14 23:38:58 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 23:53 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:

> 3. Improve the system-config-services. Its great tool and has great
> potential but its confusing at first look. We need to provide to each
> service such a description *AND* name that everyone (well, I exaggerate
> here a little...) will understand it.

See my posting "plans for system-config-services, was: early-gdm redux"
on fedora-desktop-list. Basically: yes, s-c-services is confusing to
users right now, one thing to make it easier is remove the visual
distinction between SysVinit and xinetd based services by way of tabs. I
don't think anybody wants to tell s-c-services which type of service
shall be configured ;-). That's one thing I want to change for Fedora 9,
I've planned more and will hopefully get around to it all.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759