Disable IPv6 by default.

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Sat Sep 15 17:18:10 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 11:11 -0600, Richi Plana wrote:
> I have to ask people who IPv6 this: What are the advantages of using
> IPv6 right now? Specially tunneling. Is there anything I can get with
> using IPv6 at this point that I can't while using IPv4? There's been
> mention of wireless. Does that have anything to do with it?

Afaik nothing specific to wireless, one GOOD thing is that you have a
full public address, and you can have a public address on each machine
in your home/small shop/whatever and get rid of NAT and all the problems
it causes.

> Last I read up on IPv6, it's sole purpose (and I could be wrong) was
> just to address the dwindling address space of IPv4. Currently, are
> there any public machines accessible on the Internet that are only
> addressable via IPv6? (It just dawned on me that I may be missing out
> on
> a lot of things because I'm not using IPv6 right now).

Yes there are some sites that are IPv6 only. You can get some info on
www.sixxs.net

> BTW ... to Cisco engineers out there. How are the core routers coping?
> understand that when the time comes, it'll take a LOT of processing
> power to handle the 128-bit address space and the number of smaller
> subnets.

AFAIK, unless changed recently Cisco keep dragging feets and their
routers are *much* slower when dealing with IPv6, other vendors seem to
do better. But I have not looked in the area for a couple of years, so,
maybe, Cisco has released something better now. (Afaik this was also one
of the reason ISPs refrained to deploy IPv6 back then as the network
performances were definitely affected).

Simo.