Why use an old GNUTLS?

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Sep 16 12:37:31 UTC 2007

L> Hi there, I found some problems with gnutls-1.4.5-2.fc7. One of
L> them has caused an Emacs package Gnus to fail to retrieve emails
L> via pop. I don't know if the bug has been fixed in latest GNUTLS
L> 2.0 but version 1.4.5 is so old and many bugs have been fixed. Is
L> there a reason to stick to an old GNUTLS? Any plan to fix the bug?

[...]

AL> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/218184

AL> For the reasons you state, I agree it would be bad to have to wait
AL> around until F9 to get gnutls updated.  I have been having
AL> problems with gnutls-1.4.5, not with POP, but with outgoing SMTP
AL> traffic to my university's SMTP server with Emacs/Gnus.

Hmm, I notice that gnutls is used as a shared library in many
applications that it might be non-trivial to update if the .so version
is bumped because it will require a lot of rebuilds.

$ rpm -q gnutls --provides
libgnutls-extra.so.13
libgnutls-extra.so.13(GNUTLS_1_2)
libgnutls-openssl.so.13
libgnutls.so.13
libgnutls.so.13(GNUTLS_1_3)
gnutls = 1.4.5-2.fc7

$ rpm -q --whatrequires libgnutls.so.13
gnutls-devel-1.4.5-2.fc7
bug-buddy-2.18.0-2.fc7
loudmouth-1.2.2-3.fc7
gnutls-1.4.5-2.fc7
wireshark-0.99.6-1.fc7
libsoup-2.2.100-1.fc7
evolution-webcal-2.10.0-1.fc7
gnutls-utils-1.4.5-2.fc7
libtranslate-0.99-9.fc6
mutt-1.5.14-4.fc7
wireshark-gnome-0.99.6-1.fc7
ntfsprogs-1.13.1-6.fc7
liferea-1.2.19-3.fc7
evolution-data-server-1.10.3.1-2.fc7
gtk-gnutella-0.96.4-1.fc7
seahorse-1.0.1-6.fc7
cups-libs-1.2.12-4.fc7
cups-1.2.12-4.fc7
vlc-0.8.6c-4.lvn7
evolution-2.10.3-4.fc7

I wonder what .so version gnutls will provide and if it is
source-compatible with applications that have been compiled in the
past with gnutls <= 1.4.5.

Alex