Can Name=GenericName go away now, please?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 14:15:57 UTC 2007

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:05:16 -0500
Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:

> I posted similarly to fedora-desktop list, but I thought it may be
> worth spreading this discussion to a wider audience.
>
> In particular, can we/fedora consider using better menu names now, so
> users know which apps are really behind some generic (and
> mysterious?) items in menus(1).
>
> I'm aware of the history that brought us to this point, and using the
> generic items, but I think it's time to re-evaluate the decision,
> especially in the context of fedora's various spins.

Is a tooltip popup with what the application name actually is not
enough?  We have to satisfy two groups here, those that are looking for
an "email client" and those that are looking for "thunderbird".  I
would think being helpful to those just looking for a task to do would
slightly outweigh somebody looking for a specific application and could
hover for a second to see if this is the application they are looking
for that does the task listed?

--
Jesse Keating