/bin/tcsh not in default install anymore?

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Tue Sep 18 19:55:09 UTC 2007

> Thomas J. Baker (tjb at unh.edu) said:
> > Is it a bug or a feature that tcsh is no longer installed by default
> > anymore? Maybe it was never explicitly listed but something pulled it in
> > on a default install? Most people around here use it as their shell.
>
> It was done in August for rawhide/f8, mainly because nothing required it,
> and it is easy to add for new installs later.
>
> Bill

In my nightmare use case scenario, install F8, enable NIS authentication
at first boot, get the gdm prompt, no users are listed as their shell is
tcsh, root login is now disabled, a graphically oriented user is locked
out of their system.

I know how to work around this, it likely won't happen for upgrades, but
it does cause some problems.

Thanks,

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |