Root login in rawhide and display managers

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Wed Sep 19 14:55:27 UTC 2007

Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 13:57 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>
>> Matthew Miller wrote:

>>> Proposed alternative: enable root logins, but customize the default root
>>> GUI environment so it is a clear and simple rescue/configuration workspace,
>>> not just another user's desktop.
>>>

>> +1 Great idea!!!
>> Default root desktop with only System --> administration, Terminal and
>> some text editors
>> Identical in both Gnome and KDE..
>>

> Even better force root to login only with twm (or something worst if it
> exists) and only a xterm ... now that would be a great punishment for
> not doing as told <g>
>
> Simo.

Hum let's see uh...
Application -->
                    1. Archive manager -- Might be used in rescue
situations
                    2. Calculator  --  Not gonna be used  in rescue
stituations  ( could be removed )
                    3. Character map  -- Not gonna be used in  rescue
situations  ( could be removed )
                    4. Dictionary -- Not gonna be used in  rescue
situations  ( could be removed )
                    5. Take a screenshot -- Not gonna be used in  rescue
situations  ( could be removed )
                    6. Terminal -- Might be used in rescue situations
                    7. Text Editor -- Might be used in rescue situations
                    8. VNC -- Not gonna be used in  rescue situations
for his machine ( could be removed )

Edutainment --> Not gonna be used  in rescue stituations  ( could be
removed )
Games --> Not gonna be used  in rescue stituations  ( could be removed )
Graphics --> Not gonna be used  in rescue stituations  ( could be removed )
Internet, an browser an email client, pidgin, xchat  -- > Rest  could be
removed
Office  --> Not gonna be used  in rescue stituations  ( could be removed )
Programming --> Not gonna be used  in rescue stituations  ( could be
removed )
Sound and Video --> Not gonna be used  in rescue stituations  ( could be
removed )
System tools --> Not gonna be used  in rescue stituations  ( could be
removed ) ( questionable File browser/Software updater )
Wine --> Not gonna be used  in rescue stituations  ( could be removed )
Places could stay ( from my point of view or be removed neutral )
System left as is..

Best regards
                 Johann B.

--

Johann B. Gudmundsson. RHCE,CCSA
Unix System Engineer.
Taeknigardi, Dunhaga 5.			Email:		johannbg at hi.is
IS-107 Reykjavik.			Phone:		+354-525-4267
Iceland.				  Fax:		+354-552-8801