Root login in rawhide and display managers

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at hi.is
Wed Sep 19 22:09:18 UTC 2007

> on 9/19/2007 4:29 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>> Then fix that GNOME bug instead of hiding it. Screensavers and desktop
>>> locking
>>> for root work just fine in KDE.
>>
>> And I assume that KDE users are just happy to run tons of unaudited
>> toolkit code as root...
>>
>> Anyway, its a moot point, we'll re-enable root login for test3.
>

> I have watched this thread since the beginning and I can no longer keep my
> peace.
>
> A knowledgeable Linux user would know how to change this default. Or
> figure out how to change. I know how and I am certainly not on the level
> of many here.

True so he know he can simply <ctrl><alt>F1 and take it from there...

> A 'not so knowledgeable Linux user' would use the 'enter Roots password'
> windows to preform these tasks.

And if the user manage to shoot himself in the foot so he cant login
using his username and password how is he gonna manage to get to his
"enter the root password dialog"....

> Any user that can not do either of these things *does not* have any
> business logging in as root in a GUI. Period.

Wrong he has a fighting chance to save himself log into familiar
surroundings fix the situation with S-C-* tools, learn from his mistake
instead of have to do clean install or bother advanced users given that they
are some where around him.

The alternitive "dropping him to terminal window" were he would be dead in
the water...

> Or do you want Fedora 8 to be like Windows?

No...

> Where 'run as root' is the
> default for the 'not so knowledgeable Windows user'?

Last time I used M$ windows it made dam sure that the user could harm
the system ( windows it self ) and question every other move he did..

Maybe Windows is actually trusting user today but I doubt it...

> You want them to be
> able to shoot themselves in the foot?

Yes. the users will learn from there mistakes, adopt,evolve and move on..

Let's place the trust on the user always.

> I hope not.
>
> Want to use Linux, be a Linux Geek, so to speak? Learn a little more about
> it first. More than downloading an ISO and burning it it Windows.

Nope get the user first into linux as hazle free and comfortable as
possible...

>From there he will start using, playing, fiddle around *expanding his
knowledge about linux. etc..

Best regards