Root login in rawhide and display managers

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Sep 20 01:22:49 UTC 2007

> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > I am pretty certain many Fedora users use Fedora for both situations and
> > consider a "mere desktop spin" a waste of time.
>
> That's ok. We will know soon enough how much interest there is when
> there is a general release of Fedora 8 and we get downloads and feedback.
>
> >>  That's more useful than talking about RHEL. We
> >> all know the audience is different between these distributions.
> > It is not.
> > - Otherwise EPEL would not exist.
> > - Those using RHEL @situation X (eg. @work) not unlikely are the same
> > people running Fedora @situation Y (eg. @home)
>
> Your own example of running Fedora at home and RHEL at work is exactly
> the different kind of roles and expectations that I was talking about.

You violently don't want to understand, don't you?

The main reason why you probably won't find many RHEL installations
@home is it's price and this product's characteristics (bundled with
service, promise of long term support, lack of suitable applications for
use @home, ...).

"desktop-use vs. server-use" isn't the real difference between RHEL and
Fedora - Of cause, you'll find more "desktop use-cases" for Fedora, but
this is just because you'll find more desktop-installation than
server-installations in general.

Ralf