Root login in rawhide and display managers

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Thu Sep 20 15:11:22 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 09:00:08AM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> It should not be. In an environment using single sign on systems, ldap, NIS
> or yellow pages it makes no sense.
>
> Secondly the security argument here is simply peeing in the wind as you can
> hit ctrl-alt-f1 and log in as root on a text console.

Got an interesting situation recently: I just had installed a
reasonably updated fc5 with a us keyboard with no (nis) users enabled
yet, then moved the box to its final destination where the user has a
french (azerty) keyboard.  C-A-F1 didn't work, but the rest of the
keyboard did, so I logged in as graphically as root.

Then opened an xterm, did a chvt 1, login and loadkeys fr, but that's
just me.

So, amusingly, there are cases where C-A-F1 does not work.

  OG.