Root login in rawhide and display managers

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 20 15:26:25 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 19:42 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> What is significantly different between the situation
> a secretary in an office desktop writing texts/browsing the web etc. is
> in and those of your Grandmother/ your 10 year old son doing the same
> @home?
>
> None. In both situations you will need a sysadmin.

I don't see either situations needing a sysadmin. My grandmother does
her work on her computer without requiring any sysadmin interaction for
the kind of routine tasks you refer to.

> Irrelevant from a desktop USER's POV.
>
> To them, what matters is "their application simply works".

Correct but the technical difference and the impact on the differences
between the roles they provide still stand. One example of the impact of
ABI compatibility is with ISV applications. In this instance, you can't
expect them to simply work in any distribution without an additional
explicit effort. I will leave the discussion at that.

Rahul