Root login in rawhide and display managers

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Fri Sep 21 14:23:38 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:
> on 9/20/2007 3:11 AM, Rudolf Kastl wrote:
>> 2007/9/20, David Boles <dgboles at gmail.com>:
>>> on 9/19/2007 6:09 PM, � wrote:
>>>
>>> Well as soon as Linux can play Oblivion, Solder of Fortune, Half-Life, and
>>> the so many other Windows games you will get a *lot* of 'new Linux users'
>>> from Windows. Just as ignorant as you are looking for here.
>> well please do your homework:
>>
>> http://appdb.winehq.com
>>
>> sof even has a native linux port.
>>
>> regards,
>> Rudolf Kastl
>
> You should have looked a little harder before you jumped to defend Windows
> games for Linux.  ;-)
>
> I mentioned those games only because they came to mind late at night.
> Those are all old, by gaming standards very old, games. SOF is from 2000
> for example and basically abandoned. It will run because it is OpenGL and
> could be ported. Oblivion and Half-Life are written 'in' DirectX. Those
> would not, and many others I would think, run in Wine. Ever. Nor will they
> run in VMware.

Half-Life (and friends) has an OpenGL renderer and has worked for ages
in Linux using wine. Half-Life 2 and Oblivion are DirectX only but do
work somewhat in wine (have some rendering glitches, water reflections
can be odd, performance is decreased).

Both run very well in Cedega, including copy protection. As do a slew of
other modern games. It still isn't at the point where you can grab any
game off the shelf and have it work but I've got a large stack of games
that say you're wrong that DirectX games will never, ever be playable on
Linux.

rob