[RFC] /var versus /srv

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Fri Sep 21 15:40:33 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 09:27 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 9/21/07, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
> > > so while your argument for not using it in the distro is fine -the
> > > reality is that this is what is actually done by sysadmins all over the
> > > world.
>

> That's a high order, a lot of apps whose data need backing up go there.

Whenever I move services from one machine to another (say for a server
upgrade), I never backup /var. The only thing I backup out of it
is /var/www.

It would be nice if a policy like that were made consistent (ie. nothing
that needs backup'ing in /var and /srv ALWAYS has to be backed-up)
instead of having to keep track of all of these little things. As a
rule, that is. If you want to store data in a different place, that's
definitely an admin's prerogative.
--

Richi Plana