yum update so slow

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 24 12:08:10 UTC 2007

Jochen Schlick wrote:
> Hi, I have a laptop where rawhide is installed since the days
> of Fedora Core 1. It has only 256MB ram so updating using yum
> was always like a lame duck but nowadays it's really a crap.
Since that RAM is valuable: are you starting in runlevel 3 - ie no GUI ?

You can also save some memory when yum performs transactions by updating
a coupla packages at a time, perhaps like:
yum check-update
   to see what is there.
yum update rpm yum
yum update kernel
reboot in runlevel 3 again.

yum update x*
yum update g*

and so on.

Having another vt open with top running can give a good idea of how much
RAM / processor the process is using.  {one of mine is an old pentiumII
with 384MB}.

DaveT.