NetworkManager-0.7 can't make new wireless connection

darrell pfeifer darrellpf at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 16:37:39 UTC 2007

On 9/26/07, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at clemson.edu> wrote:
> I have NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.3.svn2852.fc8.  When I pop down the menu
> in nm-applet and select "connect to new wireless network", nothing
> happens.  I would expect a popup menu allowing me to specify a SSID and
> connection protocols, but I get nothing.
>
> This is a Thinkpad T61 with iwl3945, in case that matters.  Kernel is
> 2.6.23-0.202.rc8.f8, but the issue has occurred ever since the first
> NM-0.7 was pushed, with whatever kernels have been pushed since then.  I
> have set selinux to permissive, so there shouldn't be anything
> preventing access to anything.  One thing is, the SSID I want is hidden,
> and it's the only one in the area.
>
> Bug?  Or user error?  Anyone have it working?

The latest release of Network Manager are really... cranky.

I have a Compaq 6710B with iwl3945. It worked with FC7 and rawhide up
until about two weeks ago.

I managed to get it to work with kernel 181. I make sure a wired cable
is plugged in (strange, but it seems to work), do a restart of
haldaemon, then NetworkManger and I have wireless.

There are some updates pending but they are on hold with the freeze.

I also have rawhide on a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop with an ipw2200
card. Again, since about two weeks ago it doesn't initially default
connect to my AP, and won't automatically reconnect (eg, when the
microwave in my kitchen shields the signal.). On that machine the
latest kernel works.

What you're seeing is probably a combination of problems with both
NetworkManager and recent iwl3945 code.

darrell