[RFC] /var versus /srv

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Wed Sep 26 19:57:48 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 16:33 -0200, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> Richi Plana wrote:
> >
> > Whenever I move services from one machine to another (say for a server
> > upgrade), I never backup /var. The only thing I backup out of it
> > is /var/www.

> Hope you don't use databases such as mysql along with your www stuff,
> because you'd be sorely missing the databases in that case... Mysql puts
> databases in /var/lib/mysql per default on Fedora.

I don't leave them in the Fedora default. I usually use subdirectories
like /home/pgsql (though if Fedora decides to standardize on /srv, I'd
probably leave it there). Come to think of it, I don't even use the
default httpd web pages subdirectory. Most of the sites served by httpd
are virtual servers and located in their own /home/ subdirectory.
--

Richi Plana