Fedora spin from RpmFusion

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Sep 28 11:01:12 UTC 2007

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:56:59 +0000
""Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"" <johannbg at hi.is> wrote:

> I still think that Fedora-unity re-spins which are the official img
> with updates should be on the front
> with the official ones ( and I feel even more strongly about this
> issue should replace the official ones ).
> If users would have downloaded the FC6 respins instead of the
> "original cant be *touch* updated nor fixed after the release"
> ones would have saved alot of trouble ( I586 issue ).

The problem with this is the amount of work it would take before many
of us would feel comfortable with them replacing the gold images.  The
code path used at install time is a bit fragile and replacing what was
tested at GOLD time with a bunch of new packages (which at times won't
work at all.  It's quite literally yet another release to freeze for,
spend a bunch of time QAing, fixing various bugs, etc... and when we're
doing (currently) a full release every 6 months with 3 test releases
between each, there really just isn't any bandwidth left to add respins
with updates into the mix, especially if we want a chance at all of
doing any tools development.

Don't get me wrong, I think respins are great, but I really really
don't feel comfortable offering them up as anything other than 'use at
your own risk' and certainly not to replace the GOLD spins where yeah,
there might be bugs, but at least they're known and usually have
suitable workarounds.

There are also legal concerns with doing more releases like this that I
don't even want to get into right now.

--
Jesse Keating