Fedora Live CD unwritable on CDs

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Sep 28 21:31:34 UTC 2007

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 23:19:38 +0200
"Michał Bentkowski" <mr.ecik at gmail.com> wrote:

> So my question is: why x86_64 and ppc live CDs are greater than CDs?
> How can users burn them? Are we doing anything to make these images
> smaller?

Because they aren't Live "CDs" nor are they advertised as such.
They're Live Images, to be used on whatever medium will hold them, such
as USB Keys, virtualization, DVDs, etc..

Due to ppc and x86_64 being multilib, they have not only larger
binaries but also compatible arch content and thus they are larger.
Fitting onto a CD is a continuously losing game.  You only ever
decrease functionality when trying to fit.  The i386 images (which will
work on x86_64 hardware) will fit on a CD.

--
Jesse Keating