Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Apr 23 21:43:32 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 09:43 -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
> - Complete elimination of sbin vs. bin dirs.  Just put everything in
> bin.  This is probably a bad idea anyway, since it really shows bad
> form.  And who knows, we might have more than 32768 dentry's in bin
> some day, and that would be bad for ext3.
> - Picking the commands that make sense for non-root users and moving
> them from sbin to bin (ifconfig and route, for instance).  Isn't
> that
> why mount(8) lives in /bin anyway?

A lot of this is dictated by the FHS. If we were to eliminate the
sbin/bin distinction, we would definitely not be LSB compliant, and
while this may have little value to Fedora, it definitely does for RHEL.

Symlinks are fine, but we need to be very careful what we move/delete,
to ensure that we're not breaking LSB. (Or, if we really want to do it,
try to amend LSB/FHS)

~spot