Feature or bug? (strange?) yum behaviour

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 2 00:42:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 18:31 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> There are plenty of ways to get broken code.  I don't think it is a bad
> thing to avoid one of them.  And I'm never thrilled when anything adds
> interface changes that require knowing the differences between machines
> in the scripts that ssh commands to them - as for example when yum
> decided not to like --download-only and might or might not do
> --downloadonly depending on the circumstances.  (I still have an
> assortment of CentoOS3.x boxes running too...).

okay, your expectations about a program ever changing what its command
line arguments are (even between major version changes) is unreasonable
and frankly not pleasant.

The api has remained consistent for rhel and centos in 5. The feature
set and speed has been enhanced.

I'm not going to continue this discussion on this list. If you have a
problem with what centos ships, take it up on a centos list. If you have
a problem with what rhel ships take it up with your sales rep or
technical account manager.

It is offtopic for this list.

-sv