Feature or bug? (strange?) yum behaviour

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 2 01:15:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 20:11 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> > The api has remained consistent for rhel and centos in 5. The feature
> > set and speed has been enhanced.
>
> So you think it is OK for every version to require different command
> lines for the same common operations?  That is very untypical for
> unix-like systems.

I think it is okay for programs under development to change their
options when they have a major version change. including --download-only
originally was a mistake that was corrected.

> > I'm not going to continue this discussion on this list. If you have a
> > problem with what centos ships, take it up on a centos list.
>
> The reason I'm bringing it up here is that this is where the changes
> happen.

no, actually, for yum, it is not.

yum changes happen on yum and yum-devel list. Not here.

> > If you have
> > a problem with what rhel ships take it up with your sales rep or
> > technical account manager.
>
> The problem I mentioned was in FC6, but

FC6 is EOL'd. There will not be anymore updates to it. That's the end of
that discussion. If you wish to change fedora policy about EOL lifetimes
I suggest you discuss that with fesco and the board. Not
fedora-devel-list.

> > It is offtopic for this list.
>
> Consistency is offtopic?  How odd.  Do I have to look at some other
> distributions to find one that understands that consistent operations
> are valuable?

discussing inclusion of programs in centos and rhel is offtopic for
fedora-devel, yes.

-sv