Re: very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Harald Hoyer <harald redhat com> wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> >
> > > correct… seems to be started by NM / dbus according to the bootchart…
> > >

> > This *should* be in the background and not actually be delaying the boot.
>
>  The point is: Why is it started anyway? I have *no* wireless! No need to
> eat disk/CPU resources (which *is* delaying the boot).

Authentication isn't just for wireless anymore...  Many network
switches can be configured to require 802.1x authentication from a
system before allowing access to the network.  I'll be looking into
enabling 802.1x authentication here at work this summer.  This is a
case of having things "just work" - having the world's fastest boot
time shouldn't be the ultimate goal here.

Jeff