Network Manager Summary

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 03:30:06 UTC 2008

Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 18:57 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
>
>> BUT,  the problem seems to be, that after I set it so network didn't
>> start, and network manager did, that my /etc/resolv.conf file got
>> emptied and didn't have dns. I had to add it manually.  Going to reboot
>> after sending this email to see if it stays this time. Or does it get
>> removed each time anyway and this is a bug?
>
> The /etc/resolv.conf file does indeed get emptied (file exists, just no
> info) upon shutdown/boot up.  Although the one
> in /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/resolv.conf file is filled
> out but I am guessing not ready by NM.  Soooo, I thought I read about
> the ifcfg-ethx file having dns info inside it?  IF so, what paramaters
> are used to list it there?  DNS seems to be about the only thing so far
> from NM being completely usable and no configuring at all.
>
> Other thatn that, all is well and services seem to start.  ALTHOUGH, I
> have experienced that on shutdown, while shutting down quotas, it stays
> there and never goes away?  Cold boot after to get it going.

Edit /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-ethx and add DNS1, DNS2, DNS3, and
set PEERDNS=no and networkmanager should pick up and reset your resolv.conf
based on those cfgs and which is configured (i.e. diff interfaces could have
diff nameservers).  Also see the thread:
Re: f9 resetting dns nameservers

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29
  revoked key 0xC99B1DF3 no longer used