Suggestion Next Release

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Apr 4 08:47:38 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 20:33 -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:
> Great, but your scenario would work the same or better (depending on
> the
> depth of your tree) if you had to Shift-DblClick to open a new window.
> And it would have the huge advantage of not violating the principle of
> least surprise in that right now for vast majority of newbies (read
> users used to Windows), you have to do something special just to
> perform
> a seemingly trivial operation.

Funny, I've never heard a single complaint about spacial mode from my
wife. And I use it myself as well. Of course, though neither of us have
ever owned Macs at home, we both grew up in school districts dominated
by Macs. (And Apple II's if you go back far enough. Mind you, we both
were entering college by the time OSX was released... Read up on MECC
(R.I.P.), Minnesota and Apple go waaaaaay back...) Hell, any half-way
advanced Mac OS user already knows about the shift-doubleclick shortcut.

If you truly care about UI design, you'll have read this already:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/fog0000000249.html

Towards the middle of Chapter 1, there's a bit about Windows vs Mac that
seems appropriate here. Unfortunately it doesn't really provide any
direct advice as to how to reconcile the two. GNOME seems to have gone
down the path of cribbing from Apple the past 5 years or so. When you
care enough to steal the very best...

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/creatures/pages/russians.html