More Java guidelines questions

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed Apr 16 09:03:09 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Mer 16 avril 2008 01:12, Jesse Keating a écrit :
>> On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 18:10 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> Do you have an estimate for the man-hours of modifications it took to
>>> make that possible to help others decide on the feasibility of using gcj
>>> instead of Sun Java in general?

I'll note that the early hacks to make Eclipse run on gcj were
removed when gcj was fixed.  Most of the time spent making Eclipse
work on gcj was on the gcj side, not changes to Eclipse.

>> I don't, but that's a moot point because Fedora couldn't ship Sun Java.
>> I'd like to think that a lot of the work that went into GCJ aided in the
>> push to get Sun to open up Java so that we /could/ ship it.
>
> Sure, that was a good argument for pushing gcj in the past.
> The question is should we focus on gcj or openjdk/icedtea now.

Well, I don't know what you are focussing on, but my team is working
on porting OpenJDK, improving its performance where needed, and at the
same time keeping gcj running on those targets where it's useful.  I
don't think there is any other course of action that makes sense.

Andrew.