yum, and 2 packages that provide the same thing

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 17:53:49 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Stephen Warren
<s-t-rhbugzilla at wwwdotorg.org> wrote:
>  The one and only issue is that if a user types just:
>
>  yum install unison
>
>  then yum is not picking the version I want it to (the most recent)

How about you just stop providing 'unison' completely if you insist on
packaging all versions of unison with versioned packagenames.  You
can't use a virtual provides to solve the problem you are having.  If
you wanted to mandate that the latest version of unison would always
fill any needed deps, you shouldn't have screwed with the packaging
names by adding versioning in the name field. By doing that you have
delibrately broken version comparison which is done via the version
and release fields, so you need to live with that.

You could just avoided this and package the latest version with the
packagname "unison" and then provided any older versions with
versioned packagename like "unisonXYZ.", each providing a virtual
provides for 'unison.'  The "unison" package would always compare as
shortest packagename to fill an implicit dep, and users would still
have the ability to install older version explicitly.

-jef

-jef