Firefox language packs

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Sun Apr 20 21:19:44 UTC 2008

On 04/20/2008 04:33 PM, Andrew Farris wrote:
> Peter Lemenkov wrote:
>> 2008/4/20, Mark Bidewell <mark.bidewell at alumni.clemson.edu>:
>>> Firefox supports many languages (good)  However all language packs are
>>> install by default (not so good).  While I can uninstall the uneeded
>>> packs
>>> by hand it would be nice if they could be broken out as separate RPMs
>>> like
>>> for koffice or openoffice.  Is this possible?
>>
>> Already discussed with zero results :(
>> BTW OpenOffice.org packaged using separate langpacks...
>
> Personally, I'd like to see them lumped together in the addons listing
> as well so its not spammed with language packs... I don't mind them
> being installed on my system but having a single addon listed with some
> preference pane or information dialog that says what languages are there
> would be much nicer.

And I'd like to see people point out what problems are so they can be
addressed properly instead of making hacks around them.  For example, a
much better solution is implemented in Firefox 3 versions to avoid
clutter like this.

See http://caillon.fedorapeople.org/ffext.png and
http://caillon.fedorapeople.org/fflang.png