Re: ARM cross compilers [WAS: Re: 200+ packages up for grabs]

Jon Masters wrote:
On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 21:24 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

The avr chain is in good hands. The arm chain is currently for the gp2x handheld only, I would be much interested in discussing and getting advice on perhaps making a generic arm embedded chain. Or rather 2 one arm glibc and one arm ulibc, perhaps the arm glibc chain can be just Fedora arm?

Ok. We should talk ARM. I noticed all you seemed to have was GP2X (which
I debated buying but don't have currently).

Good call on ont buying it, they now have a new version out with better joypad and a touchscreen, definitely worth the buy now!

I generally work on ARM/PPC
and have a few ARM devices kicking around. Let's ask the wider audience
what they think about having a more generic toolchain.

I think it would be great to have one toolchain to support as many arm boards / systems as possible, or as said rather 2: a glibc chain and a uclibc chain.

The question is can we make things generic and still set off reasonably optimal code for a wide range of arm systems. I'm not asking for the last 5-10%, but we should be able to get atleast upto 90% with regards to code-size, but also speed of a custom build toolchain for a specific target if our generic libc becomes much much larger then a special one, and cannot be modularized then I'm afraid that having a generic toolchain isn't much good as lots of arm usage is embedded and size often matters there.

Regards,

Hans