Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Apr 23 18:23:30 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> said:
>   3) Symlink all of a) into /bin (or symlink), but keep b) in /sbin and
> keep /sbin out of users' path.
>
> In an ideal world, we would have 3.  But it's a lot of packaging work.

How much, really?  There are maybe a couple of dozen commands in /sbin
and /usr/sbin that are useful to non-root users, and many of them come
from the same package.  Many of them probably don't even need symlinks
(who cares that lspci has moved for example).

Now, I always just have PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin:/sbin in the system profile
on my systems (so I certainly don't object to doing that by default),
but it would be better to do this the "right" way.  The packaging
guidelines going forward could then have something like:

- /sbin: for administration tools only useful for root and needed to
  boot the system

- /usr/sbin: for other administration tools only useful for root

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>