Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Apr 23 18:30:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 01:22:37PM -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> In an ideal world, we would have 3.  But it's a lot of packaging work.
> Failing that, there's near consensus that 2) is better than 1) as the
> set of commands in group a) seems to be larger than b).

Saying "there's near consensus" doesn't make it so.

The amount that "2" is worse than "1" is large enough that the bar for
saying "eh, let's do that then" needs to be pretty high.

Once upon a time, traceroute was in sbin and *that* got fixed. I don't see
any reason we can't fix the other _tiny handful_ of commands this affects.
(Especially if the sudo securepath option is also enabled, which reduces the
number further.)