Re: Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:46:37PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
I run httpd as me for testing purposes (and from the command line too,
not sure how else one would run it ..?)

Again, *seriously*, are we planning on optimizing the environment for the
special case? Daemons clearly shouldn't be in the default path.

I agree with this completely. Stuff that are useful without root privs could be symlinked into /bin or /usr/bin. But I'd hate it if we ended with a complete (by symlinks or other means) merge of /sbin -> /bin, /usr/sbin -> /usr/bin... That would, IMHO, be ugly beyond all that is ugly.

My vote is for specifying a policy for what should be allowed to be symlinked in this way. And let's try to keep the list tight and sane.

Daemons should not be in these paths, no way... I you really want to run a daemon as an ordinary user, it probably won't kill you to add "/sbin/" to the command.

ifconfig, ip, fdisk, chkconfig and a lot of the other examples listed in this thread, makes perfectly sense to me, but not all.

/Thomas