Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Apr 24 00:24:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 18:47 -0500, Mike Cronenworth wrote:
> [...]

Everybody being confronted with programs he can't run.
"must be root" .. "insufficent privileges to ..."

Is this any better than what Fedora has now?

>  Why would you care if you have one extra program in your PATH?
I do not care about extra programs in $PATH - I do care about having
programs which are NOT RUNABLE by users and which are not USEFUL for
ordinary users in $PATH.

>  Is the world coming to an end?
Well, there are reasons why things are as they are. Of cause, there are
warts, there are arguable details, nevertheless there are reasons for
why things are, as they are.

Do you really think you are the first people to discuss this topic? No,
you aren't, this discussion is as old as */sbin exists.

> I don't see where all the hostility is being generated besides the
> fact that "it's different."
> > I.e. Spot's proposal as well as symlink farms don't solve anything.
> > To the contrary: They (re-) introduce the problems, the fact */sbin
> > exists, so far has kept low.
> >
> Symlinks should be dropped as a solution.

Openly said, I consider both proposals to be populist propaganda.

Ralf