Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Apr 24 06:46:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 09:49:27PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> If you don't know how to find ifconfig and add it to
>> your $PATH then you probably would just shoot yourself in the foot
>> with it, if you don't know but are motivated you can certainly find
>> this info easily enough. Our time on this earth is limited  but its
>> not that limited.
>
> Actually, it is.  Every day, lose six minutes from having to retype a sudo
> line due to not having a PATH configured with sbin.  Most likely when
> you're already stressed that something is broken and you just want to find
> out what as quickly as possible.

If you know something is broken and you need to fix it then why use
sudo on every call to something needing root privileges and not do the
right thing and su -/sudo -i and diagnose and fix the problem?

Aren't you making your life harder if you sudo ifconfig that sudo
fdisk this instead of having a proper root session? We do want to keep
users from the habit to login as root, but when root priviledges are
needed and you are a power user managing miriads of systems throughout
the world, then just don't put obstacles in your way.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net