What the status of the unwritten rule "install all device drivers by default"

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Apr 24 07:47:30 UTC 2008

Hi all!

In the past we IIRC had unwritten rules like "disk space is cheap thus
install all device drivers by default" and "enable all device drivers by
default in the configs if that doesn't do any harm, as that way devices
will 'just work' without any manual configuration by the user".

Do we still follow those unwritten rules? I just installed a HP
printer/scanner on a system with a fresh Fedora 9 preview install and
had to manually install the libsane-hpaio package to make the scanner
work. Is that intended behavior or would we consider this a bug?

Cu
knurd