Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Thu Apr 24 17:57:50 UTC 2008

max bianco <maximilianbianco at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> Speaking as probably one of the most inexperienced Fedora users
> subscribing to this list. I whole-heartedly agree with this sentiment.
> Its already been said but I will say it again anyway. Those that know
> how to add things to their $PATH will do just that and not be
> inconvenienced. If you don't know how to find ifconfig and add it to
> your $PATH then you probably would just shoot yourself in the foot
> with it, if you don't know but are motivated you can certainly find
> this info easily enough. Our time on this earth is limited  but its
> not that limited. For the love of god do not change things because it
> will save you 3 minutes every 6 months.

I'm certainly no newbie (futzing around on Unixy systems since the early
80ies), but I just couldn't agree more for the "average user" case. Power
users will fix any (very minor) annoyance this causes, and move on.

The */sbin was a step forward in putting some order into the mess. So some
commands got missclassified? Sh*t happens. Others /can/ be useful for users
on foot? Create a user-friendly command (even a shell script!) that gives
access to the (limited) functionality they want/need/can use.

[Yet again a huge squabble... the religious aspect to it should warn that
 this really doesn't matter much one way or the other.]