New vegastrike for F-10: 500MB !! ??

James Antill james at fedoraproject.com
Mon Apr 28 07:22:30 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 14:21 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 1:23 AM, Nigel Jones <dev at nigelj.com> wrote:
> > I have no problem with it, BUT, (and I speak personally here), there are
> >  some people that will not use it because it's just too big (500MB is
> >  larger than some of the monthly data transfer caps in New Zealand
> >  (200MB/mo), I personally, only have 700MB/day.
> >

> This sounds like a new yum plugin. "Cap my downloads to X/day" so that
> packages that are larger than that cap get marked etc.

 While that's appealing, it's _much_ harder to be 100% accurate than it
might appear. The problems include:

1. presto

2. User hitting Control-c in middle of download.

3. Metadata downloads.

4. Yum/urlgrabber re-downloading broken downloads.

...I'll probably have a go at being "good enough" anyway. Although yum
really needs info. from other layers and a couple of UI things already
have above related problems anyway, so fixing this layering problem
would solve a couple of things.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.com>
Fedora