F8 to Rawhide initscripts error

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Tue Apr 29 23:17:49 UTC 2008

Mike Chambers wrote:
> While using yum on an F8 + updates (as of last night) box, and upgrading
> to F9 (current rawhide as of today) I get yum erroring out (or at least
> a file conflict error), see below..
>
> Transaction Check Error:
>   file /etc/event.d/rc1 conflicts between attempted installs of
> initscripts-8.73-1.i386 and event-compat-sysv-0.3.9-14.fc9.noarchon
>
> file /etc/event.d/rcS conflicts between attempted installs of
> initscripts-8.73-1.i386 and event-compat-sysv-0.3.9-14.fc9.noarch
>
> file /etc/event.d/rcS-sulogin conflicts between attempted installs of
> initscripts-8.73-1.i386 and event-compat-sysv-0.3.9-14.fc9.noarch
>
> Error Summary

F9 uses upstart to start and stop services on the different runlevels,
on F8 this is done by sysvinit. The event-compat-sysv package provides
an a lot of the things that initscripts provided for F8, so this is a
case of packages that puts the same files in the filesystem (and rightly
so)..

But perhaps event-compat-sysv should "obsolete initscripts" to make this
possible? Or are initscripts still used on F9?

/Thomas