is xorg.conf still needed

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Apr 30 04:07:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:21:36PM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > Some or all of those things seem ideal to actually live in user desktop
> > configuration hooey of some sort instead of static system-wide X server
> > setup, so maybe the glorious road leads in that direction?
>
> In fact, yes, yes it does.  See the new gnome-display-properties in F9
> for some of the bits of user-configured dual-head magic.  Thanks to ssp
> for doing the hard work there.

Right now I need xorg.conf for these things on my desktop Radeon X600
and also my i965 laptop chip:

Option      "AccelMethod" "EXA"

So XVideo works and Render accel works.

Virtual 3200 1600

So dual-head actually has somewhere to put the second head :-)

Various options for touchpad, so I can tap-to-click and drag.

Oh, and per-user dual-head/Xinerama configuration doesn't seem to work
so well when the window manager or session manager loads before the
dual-head is configured, resulting in all your icons, applications,
and gnome-panels being restored overlapped on a single-head.

But you probably knew about all these problems already...If you'd like
bugs filed, let me know.